Motivating the Egyptian hotel sector to go “green”
The Green Star Hotel Programme aims to have a profound impact on the further development of the main tourism destinations in Egypt. GSHP is doing this by encouraging and motivating the hotel sector to become active and commonly move towards the conservation and protection of natural resources by implementing the Green Star Hotel System into their hotel operations, training their staff and involving their guests accordingly.
…becoming a lighthouse for other tourism sectors in Egypt
By starting with the key sector in the Egyptian tourism industry, the hotel sector a first step is taken to move the whole tourism sector towards more sustainability. On the long run, other sectors such as cruise ships and diving should follow.
Key objectives of the Green Star Hotel Programme
- Significant improvement of the environmental performance of tourism destinations
- Conservation of the biodiversity of marine life in all certified Green Star Hotels
- Significant reduction of energy and water consumption (20 – 30%)
- Increased use of renewable energy
- Ensuring waste is properly handled and sewage is properly treated
- Raising awareness for environmental protection among hotel guests, staff and residents
- Capacity building for sustainable hotel management